An ankle replacement performed by your Northridge, Santa Clarita and Burbank, CA, podiatrists at Los Angeles Institute of Foot and Ankle Surgery could be the solution to your chronic pain and stiffness.
An ankle replacement performed by your Northridge, Santa Clarita and Burbank, CA, podiatrists at Los Angeles Institute of Foot and Ankle Surgery could be the solution to your chronic pain and stiffness. The surgery is an excellent option if you want to relieve your pain yet retain the normal range of motion in your ankle joint.
Who is a good candidate for ankle replacement surgery?
Your Northridge, Santa Clarita and Burbank, CA, foot doctor may recommend ankle replacement surgery if:
- You have pain, stiffness, difficulty walking, instability, swelling or reduced range of movement due to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, a bone infection or broken ankle
- Anti-inflammatory medication, physical therapy, corticosteroids, braces, boots, casts and other treatment options haven't improved your condition
- You don't plan to participate in sports that require running, jumping or sudden stops or turns after the surgery.
- You have good blood flow to your ankle and don't have osteoporosis or any dead bones in the joint
What are the benefits of ankle replacement surgery?
Fusing bones together in your joint was once the only option for persistent ankle pain and mobility issues. Although the surgery relieved pain, it limited the range of motion in the ankle.
Today, ankle replacement surgery offers a better option for many people. During ankle replacement surgery, your foot doctor removes damaged bones and replaces them with an artificial joint. In addition to relieving pain, the surgery offers several benefits, including:
- Improved Flexibility and Movement: Your new joint will move just like a natural joint, making it easier to navigate steps or walk on uneven surfaces. Physical therapy will help improve mobility in your new joint.
- Better Balance: It's much easier to keep your balance when your ankle joint moves freely.
- Shorter Recovery Period: You'll only need to wear a cast for about three weeks if you choose ankle replacement surgery versus 10 to 12 weeks for ankle fusion surgery.
Would you like to find out if ankle replacement is a good option for you? Make an appointment with the podiatrists at Los Angeles Institute of Foot and Ankle Surgery. Call (818) 848-5588 to schedule an appointment at the Northridge, Santa Clarita or Burbank, CA, office.